Drew Gardner, Anchor
Drew Gardner joined ABC57 News in September 2014 as the station’s morning anchor. In March 2018, Drew shifted to weekend evening anchor so he could help launch the station’s first investigative unit — dedicated to telling in-depth stories that impact Michiana. You can find his investigative reports during our 11 p.m. newscasts.
In his time at ABC57 Drew has covered several major stories — including reporting live from Chicago and Cleveland as the Chicago Cubs’ ended their 108-year World Series championship drought. He also broadcasted live from Carbondale, Illinois in August 2017 as the total solar eclipse crossed the entire U.S for the first time in almost 100 years.
You can also find Drew out in the field covering major stories that impact Michiana like the 2015 Super Bowl Sunday blizzard and the aftermath following the deadly 2016 shooting inside the Berrien County Courthouse that killed two bailiffs.
Drew came to ABC57 from WATE, the ABC affiliate in Knoxville, Tennessee where he reported for the weekday morning show Good Morning Tennessee.
This isn't Drew's first stop in Indiana. Prior to Knoxville, Drew worked at WTVW and WEHT in Evansville. He started as a general assignment reporter and eventually became the station's weekend weather forecaster and helped launch, produce and host a daily lifestyles morning talk show that still airs today.
Drew began his career at KNDO-TV, the NBC affiliate in Yakima, Washington as a one man band reporter.
He graduated with honors from Columbia College Chicago in 2007. While at Columbia Drew interned at ABC7 Chicago and in the consumer unit at Chicago's CBS affiliate WBBM.
Drew was born and raised, not far from South Bend, in the south suburbs of Chicago.
When not reporting you can find Drew enjoying Lake Michigan’s beautiful beaches (in the summer of course), checking out the newest area restaurants or taking in a live show. Drew also spends time volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House at Beacon Children’s Hospital and serves as a board member for The LGBTQ Center in South Bend.
Articles by Drew Gardner
- Memorial growing where slain Mishawaka teen was found
- Booming economy bringing staffing and overtime problems to St. Joseph County Jail
- Audit reveals problems persists for South Bend Housing Authority
- 19-year-old South Bend woman reportedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted
- Michiana prepares for first major winter storm of the season
- Niles businesses shocked and disappointed by surprise vote on marijuana ban
- Niles City Council votes to ban future marijuana establishments
- Proposal 1 passage brings growing interest in growing pot to Michigan
- Voters approve recreational marijuana in Michigan
- Supporters and opponents of recreational pot point to Colorado as Michigan prepares to vote on legalization
- Michigan voters prepare to say 'yes' or 'no' to recreational marijuana
- Problem property has neighbors concerned after fifth fire breaks out
- Niles City Council introduces ordinance that would ban future medical marijuana establishments
- ABC57 Investigates: Are local limo companies following state and federal laws?
- Surveillance video captures men breaking into car dealership and stealing 3 cars
- ABC57 Investigates: South Bend eviction rate 3 times the national average
- High speed chase helps catch a man wanted on federal counterfeit check crimes
- ABC57 Security Expert offers advice to stay safe following the latest mass shooting
- Community wants Starke County officials to clean up problem properties
- 7-year-old Elkhart girl says man tried to lure her into truck with money
- Many hotels legally operating without sprinkler systems
- Second local gas station found to be pumping out bad fuel
- More reports of bad gas at Mishawaka gas station
- Bremen residents want to know why sirens weren't activated during tornado warning
- Local veteran fighting for his home after changes made to his mortgage lead to foreclosure
- Notre Dame Law School professor among President Trump's potential Supreme Court picks
- Local companies backed up as rainwater fills normally dry basements
- Former South Bend Police Chief entering St. Joseph County Sheriff's race as independent
- Residents of Golfview Manor apartments in Bristol fed up with conditions
- President of SBCSC bus driver union dies suddenly
- Local digital security company offers tips after latest FBI warnings on cyber threats
- Three-year-old injured in Goshen farming accident dies
- ABC57 Investigates: Are you getting what you paid for at the pump?
- Culver seniors host bike ride to raise awareness for little-known pediatric disorder
- ABC57 Investigates: Trouble with townships
- South Bend family thankful for 3-year-old’s safe return after carjacking
- Allegiant and FAA trying to calm fears after '60 Minutes' report
- Possible suspect arrested in hit and run of pregnant woman
- Elderly man gets caught in tear gas during SWAT search
- Police: Body found in shed is not suspicious
- South Bend Cubs continue to help downtown revitalization
- Tuesday's YouTube shooting was only the fourth mass shooting done by a woman in recent times
- City releases personnel file for officer involved in Elwood Avenue Shooting
- ABC57 Investigates: Wayne Township Trustee under investigation for years of overpaying salaries and rent
- ABC57 Investigates: Knowing your flood risk
- Made in Michiana: Hoof to Hanger
- Local 50's and 60's bands reunite to raise money for veterans
- Made in Michiana: Inovateus Solar
- Ronald McDonald House staying busy since expansion
- Senator Donnelly responds to Trump; announces new bipartisan healthcare legislation
- McCain on his cancer prognosis: It's 'very, very serious'
- Students experience total eclipse on first day of classes
- Live from Carbondale: Solar eclipse doesn't disappoint
- Carbondale anticipating major crowds for solar eclipse
- Local teacher joins crowds in Carbondale to see the eclipse
- Colts Bus makes stop at Four Winds Field
- Eclipse poses serious dangers to your eyes and cameras
- ABC57 is heading to Carbondale for the Solar Eclipse and so can you
- Cheetos to open restaurant with celebrity chef
- Toyota and Mazda to build $1.6 billion factory in the U.S.
- Notre Dame Sports Broadcaster Bob Nagle remembers Ara Parseghian
- Four Winds Casino in New Buffalo celebrates 10 year anniversary
- Indiana and Michigan Senators respond after Obamacare 'skinny repeal' fails
- GOP Obamacare repeal bill fails in dramatic late-night vote
- South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg weighs in on transgender military ban
- Coca-Cola is replacing Coke Zero with a new drink
- Notre Dame Football tickets go on sale
- South Bend Pride to take over downtown streets
- Village Summerfest Preview: Megan Fowler
- 2017 Summer Restaurant Week kicks off in South Bend
- Made in Michiana: Ozinga
- Kosciusko County Sheriff pleads guilty to intimidation
- Made in Michiana: Surestep
- Made in Michiana: Ben's Soft Pretzels
- New Ronald McDonald House prepares to open in South Bend
- Lady Gaga to bring world tour to Wrigley Field
- George Orwell's '1984' becomes 2017 best seller
- Trump says he'll send in feds if Chicago doesn't fix 'horrible carnage going on'
- Trump to direct federal resources toward building a border wall on Wednesday
- Kim Jong Un wants to meet Trump, will never give up nukes, says defector