Lineup for the first 2020 Democratic debate announced
(CNN) -- The Democratic National Committee announced on Thursday which 20 Democratic presidential candidates qualified for the first set of debates, providing clarity to the June match-up that will feature the first high-profile clashes of the party's nominating process.
Those candidates are:
- Former Vice President Joe Biden
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
- South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg
- California Sen. Kamala Harris
- Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
- Former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke
- Businessman Andrew Yang
- New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker
- Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro
- Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard
- Washington Gov. Jay Inslee
- Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
- Author Marianne Williamson
- New York Mayor Bill de Blasio
- Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet
- Former Maryland Rep. John Delaney
- New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
- Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
- Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan
- California Rep. Eric Swalwell
That leaves three Democrats -- Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton and Miramar, Florida, Mayor Wayne Messam, a candidate whose campaign has struggled to gain any traction -- on the outside looking in at the first debates on June 26 and 27 in Miami.
Candidates had until 11 a.m. ET to certify with the DNC that they have either achieved at least 1% support in three polls from an approved list of pollsters or received campaign contributions from 65,000 unique donors, including 200 donors each from 20 different states.
Based on public information, it had been clear for days that Bullock, Moulton and Messam were the three candidates likely to miss the debate stage.
And both Bullock and Moulton's campaigns have been resigned that they will not make the first debate.
"No, I'm not going to make the first debate, but I knew that getting in so late," Moulton told Hugh Hewitt earlier this month.
In an interview with CNN on Sunday, Bullock said he was "disappointed" that he was likely to miss the first DNC debate, but said he is "going to keep doing what I'm doing" whether he makes the stage or not.
"We'll still have plans. We'll be meeting voters and if not on that, we'll be doing the things yet," he said. "But, yeah, I'm disappointed."
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.