Benton Harbor School Board rejects state’s proposal to close high school
- Benton Harbor leaders voice their opposition to the state of Michigan's plan to shut down Benton Harbor High School
- Benton Harbor officials speak in Lansing on state’s proposal for Benton Harbor High School
- Benton Harbor Mayor threatens to cancel Kitchen Aid Senior PGA tournament if Benton Harbor High School is closed
BENTON HARBOR, Mich.—The Benton Harbor Area School Board on Friday voted not to accept the state’s plan to close the high school.
"The state does reserve the right to reject the plan we want to work collaboratively with the state officials both in treasury and the department of educational well as the governors office to create a collaborative solution that'll be in the best interest of the education of all the students," Benton Harbor Area Schools school district attorney Daniel Martin said.
The deadline is 11:59p.m. for the decision and the board met to either approve or reject
The state is expected to respond.
I feel better today than last week because i feel like we have a plan moving forward our plan has been much more fleshed out a lot more detailed than it was even on Wednesday we've had very positive meetings with the Governor's office the department of treasure department of education and i think we're all gonna come together to have a solution that will be a win win for the students here in Benton Harbor," Martin said.
In May, the state of Michigan's treasury department recommended Benton Harbor Area Schools close Benton Harbor High School and the alternative high school so the district can focus on students in K-8th grade.