Child with lighter starts fire at home on Division Street

DOWAGIAC, Mich. -- A child playing with a lighter caused a fire at a home on Division Street Monday afternoon, according to the Dowagiac Fire Department.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home in the 300 block of Division Street at approximately 4:15 p.m. Monday.

The fire was extinguished 11 minutes after firefighters arrived on scene. There was damage to the upper floor of the home.

The investigation revealed a small child was upstairs playing with a lighter when a pile of clothing caught fire, reports said.

The child and the owner of the residence got out of the house safely.

Firefighters want to remind residents to keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children and to discuss fire safety with them.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?