Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Christmas Eve fire displaces family from home

Saint Joseph County, Ind. -- Crews rushed to a house fire in Saint Joseph County around midnight. It happened on Ice Trail.

Firefighters say the family inside the home got out without any injuries. However it is unlikely the family will be able to spend Christmas at their house.

Battalion Chief Dave Wedel says the fire started in the fireplace, spread to the wall behind it, and then to the attic.

The fire was under control in 15 minutes.

"It was pretty straight forward. We go in, knock the wall down around the fire place and extinguish it" said Wedel.

The battalion chief says this is the second fire in the last 24 hours that started with a fireplace. He encourages all home owners to get their chimneys cleaned if they plan on using their fireplace.

 

Share this article: