City of Elkhart and Elkhart County under a State of Emergency
The St. Joseph and Elkhart Rivers are expected to continue to rise through Thursday or Friday causing additional flooding.
Evacuations are already happening in some areas.
The City of Elkhart is under a Travel Watch, which means only essential travel - such as to and from work- is recommended.
If you see a road closed sign or barricade, do not go around the barrier. And if you approach a roadway that is flooded, do not drive through the water.
Sandbags are no longer available at the Elkhart Street Department.
Sandbags are available at the following locations in the City of Elkhart
- West Side Middle School (Parking lot on Nappanee St.) 101 S. Nappanee St.
- North Side Middle School (Parking lot near the track on Bristol St.) 300 Lawrence St.
- Riverview Park Softball Complex (Parking lot on Riverview Ave. behind Riverview Elementary School) 340 Riverview Ave.
- Pierre Moran Pool (Parking lot on Lusher Ave. behind Pierre Moran School) 200 W. Lusher Ave.
Residents in Elkhart County can go to the following locations:
- Elkhart County Highway Garage, 59308 CR 7. Located ½ mile north of CR 26 on the east side
- Boy Scout Camp Parking Lot, located on CR 46 west of SR 15 about ½ mile on the north side
- Goshen City residents ONLY: 475 Steury Ave. Goshen, Goshen Street Department.
- Nappanee Street Department, 849 E. Wabash St., Nappanee, IN 46550
Sand and bags will be available, but you must fill them. It is recommended you bring your own shovel.
A non-emergency phone number has been established for residents seeking updates on the flooding, including information regarding shelters and emergency transportation. This phone number is 574-293-8931. If you have an emergency, please call 911.