Cooling centers opening up throughout Michiana
With the extreme heat expected Thursday and Friday, cooling centers are opening up throughout Michiana.
Berrien County, Michigan
- The Niles District Library will serve as the Cooling Center for our city whenever the National Weather Service issues an Excessive Heat Warning. The Library Cooling Center will be open Mon - Thurs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Fridays & Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. during Excessive Heat Warnings. Niles Dial A Ride will offer free rides to and from the Cooling Center - one per day per person, whenever there is an Excessive Heat Warning.
- The Chikaming Township Center will be open as a cooling center from 8:30am until 4:30pm on Friday, July 19th, 2019.
Elkhart County, Indiana
- The Salvation Army, 1013 N. Main St., Goshen, (enter through the south entrance) Will be open to the public Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Maple City Chapel, 2015 Lincolnway East, Goshen will be open to the public Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Goshen Public Library, 601 S. 5th St. will be open Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Free entry to pool: The city’s Shanklin Park Pool (411 W. Plymouth Ave.) will be free Thursday through Saturday. Pool hours are Thursday and Friday noon to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m., Saturday noon to 7 p.m. Patrons must be in appropriate swim attire to be admitted into the facility.
Kosciusko County, Indiana
- Fellowship Missions, 1520 Winona Avenue, is also providing a cooling station during daytime hours. The cooling station is open Wednesday, July 17 through Saturday, July 20, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
La Grange County, Indiana
- Parkview Hospital LaGrange: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday - Lobby and Cafeteria
- Lagrange Public Library: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. thru Saturday
La Porte County, Indiana
- Michigan City Police Station, 1201 E. Michigan Blvd., open 24 hours
- Michigan City Fire Administration Building, 2510 E. Michigan Blvd., will be open 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Michigan City Senior Center, 2 on the Lake, will be open 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Michigan City City Hall, 100 E. Michigan Blvd., 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Michigan City Public Library, 100 E. 4th Street, will be open regular hours
- Keys to Hope Community Resource Center, 1802 Franklin Street, will be open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday and Sunday
Marshall County, Indiana
- Webster Center, 110 Webster Avenue, Plymouth - will be open as a cooling center from 1 p.m. - 11 p.m. Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday, and from 8 am. to 11 p.m. on Saturday.
St. Joseph County, Indiana
- Riley High School: 1902 Fellows Street, South Bend, will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- Washington High School: 4747 W. Washington Street South Bend, will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday
Van Buren County, Michigan
- Bronson Wellness Center, 950 S Bailey Ave, South Haven will be open Thursday from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you need to escape the heat, regardless if you're a Wellness Center member or not, you may cool off in the air-conditioned lobby and conference rooms.