Home on Harrison Street heavily damaged in fire

NOW: Home on Harrison Street heavily damaged in fire


ELKHART, Ind. -- Firefighters were at the scene of a house fire in the 900 block of Harrison Street in Elkhart around 1:20 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.  

A witness on scene said a dog died in the fire.

Firefighters are investigating the possibility of arson.

At least one person was treated in the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Jeremy January, who lives in the complex says he was able to get a family member out of the building safely. That person was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation treatment.

January says the fire broke out just four days after moving into the building.

“Me and my god-dad, we just moved in here Saturday, over the weekend,” said January. We went shopping, bought a whole bunch of new stuff for the house."

January says he tried to save some of his new belongings before evacuating his duplex as it went up in flames, but it spread too quickly.
According to Elkhart fire officials, everyone who lives there got out okay. However, the blaze tore right through the building, leaving tenants like January displaced, scrambling to find somewhere to stay.

“With all the shopping that we did, we spent about $7000 to $8000, it’s all damaged, and now tonight, me and my god-dad have no place to stay," said January.

Investigators say the circumstances surrounding this fire are suspicious, but it is too soon to confirm any foul play.
If you’re interested in helping, you can donate to January’s GoFundme.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?