Elkhart non-profit holds 3rd annual coat drive and holiday dinner
Local non-profit South Side Inc. is collecting winter coats for community members in need.
The coats will be distributed during their annual Christmas Dinner on December 18th at 2 p.m. at the Roosevelt Center.
“There’s a very strong need. We get a lot of notifications from people in the school systems telling us that they’re wearing clothes that are either too small or in poor repair. The parents just can’t afford it. There are people that are full grown adults that need these coats as well in order to stay warm sometimes. It is literally a matter of life or death," said Jason Moreno of South Side Inc.
Moreno says they are accepting adult and children's coats, and will also take hats, scarves, and gloves.
Donations are being accepted until December 10th at the following locations:
- Elkhart Chapter of the Indiana Black Expo
- USA 1 Auto
- Tolson Center
- Family Dollar on Hively Avenue
- Premier Arts
- First Congregational Church on Third Street
- Mariscos Don Miquel
- Stutsman and Mulvaney Law Office
- Purdue Extension; Kimi’s Hair Design
- Maple City Market; Creative Touch Nails & Day Spa
- Central Fire Station and Elkhart Police Department
- The Roosevelt Building
- LaCasa Goshen and Elkhart locations
For more information about donating to the coat giveaway and dinner contact Robert Taylor at 574-226-4328.