Experts recommend carbon monoxide monitors instead of detectors

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Every year approximately 500 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. There are carbon monoxide detectors and monitors for sale, but which works best?

Experts say there are a few things you should consider when purchasing a carbon monoxide monitors. The features, sensitivity and size of your house.

"You want to have these located somewhere in your home that you can hear when you're asleep," said Bryce Hill, General Manager of Hill's True Value.

Hill helps people choose one every day.

As the weather gets colder and people start using gas heat, the risk for carbon monoxide exposure increases.

David Hayes, General Manager of Home Comfort Experts, recommends a carbon monoxide monitor with increased sensitivity and one with back-up batteries.

"There's a huge difference between a monitor and a detector," said David Hayes, General Manager of Home Comfort Experts. "A detector is going to sound the alarm at 70 parts per million in your home. The carbon monoxide monitor will start alerting you at 15 parts per million."

Most firefighters use breathing devices at 35 parts per million.

Experts say having at least one, in a living room or bedroom, could make all the difference.

"You really want one per floor - but avoid somewhere like a garage or a basement," said Hill.

Knowing where to find one and where to install it could be as simple as trip to your local hardware store.

Thanks to a federal grant, the city of South Bend offers smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors free to homeowners. Click here for more information.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?