Fire at River Terrace High Rise spreads through trash chute

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. -- Firefighters with the Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety were dispatched to a fire at the River Terrace High Rise on Sunday.

When firefighters arrived, they found an alarm sounding in an 8th floor apartment where there had been a small kitchen fire.

They also located heavy smoke and fire in the trash compactor room on the first floor, reports said.

Several other fire departments responded to the scene.

It took approximately 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Fire officials said the tenant on the eighth floor had disposed of still-burning debris down the trash chute, which caused the second fire.

The building suffered smoke and water damage from the sprinklers on multiple floors in the trash chute rooms, reports said.

Firefighters cleared the scene approximately 2 hours after the initial alarm.

There were no injuries.

Firefighters want to remind all residents they should never dispose of debris from a fire in the trash because even a small ember can quickly spread.

Firefighters from St. Joseph DPS, Benton Township and Lincoln Twp. responded to the scene and assisted.

Share this article:
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?