Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Dog dies in fire at Granger apartment complex

GRANGER, Ind.—Mishawaka Fire Department responded to a fire at a senior apartment complex on Wednesday.

Mishawaka Fire Department tweeted that they had a crew working to put out a fire on the 800 block of Cleveland Road at the Village at Arborwood apartment complex around 11 a.m.

"When we got here there was smoke coming from one unit on the first floor," said Captain Jim Cocquyt.

The fire was contained to the first floor of the apartment complex.

Officials say about 10 units were affected but fire walls and sprinklers contained most of the fire.

Residents of the apartment complex were evacuated and buses were sent to assist residents. Most displaced residents will be re-sheltered within the complex.

"If they’re handicapped, anywhere from a walker to a wheelchair, we have to have enough people to effectively and safely get them out to an area of safety," said Cocquyt.

No injuries have been reported.

One dog died in the fire.



Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?