Firefighters extinguish fire at home on Avalon Street
ELKHART, Ind. -- No one was injured from a house fire in Elkhart Wednesday morning. Elkhart Fire Department investigated the fire started from a faulty chest freezer on the back porch.
Firefighters responded to a house fire at a home in the 1500 block of Avalon Street in Elkhart Wednesday around 10:15 a.m.
Elkhart Fire officials say three people and a dog were in the home at the time the fire started.
A woman and her 5-year-old child were asleep in the basement and didn't know the house was on fire until they felt the water from the fire department's hoses.
The woman's older son, 18, was asleep in the living room when the fire started.
All three and their dog got out of the house safely.
Firefighters say the fire was concentrated at the rear of the home.
Fire on the 1500 block of Avalon St. in Elkhart. pic.twitter.com/21JTHtxr22— Nicolas Lopez (@niclopez_abc57) August 22, 2018