Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Fire engulfs well-known Stray Dog Bar & Grill in New Buffalo

BERRIEN COUNTY, Mich. -- What some call a staple in New Buffalo, caught fire around 9 p.m. Tuesday and burned until early Wednesday morning.

"I saw smoke coming out of the vents and there was smoke in the kitchen and in the managers office and the bathroom," said server Shannan Van Pelt.

The Stray Dog Bar and Grill had nearly 200 people inside when the fire started.

It took seven fire departments to put out the blaze with firefighters taking turns at the hose so they didn't overheat.

According to New Buffalo Assistant Fire Chief Jack Kennedy, the fire started on the right side of the building and eventually burnt through the roof. He believes it could be an electrical fire but needs to investigate a bit more.

"It burnt through, it didn't really collapse, and it was good it burnt through that way we could put out the fire easier and have them go up top," said Kennedy.

Unfortunately the fire was not easy extinguish. It did rekindle at one point, however firefighters were able to get it out and save some of the restaurant.

"Everyone is just really sad because we love this restaurant, and we will do anything to get it back up and running," said Van Pelt.

Kennedy also thinks it’s not a total loss and that a majority of the back of the building can be saved.

No one was seriously hurt.

Share this article: