Fire guts trailer, pet and owner hurt
Posted: Feb 20, 2012 2:37 AM EST | Updated: Nov 5, 2014 6:38 PM EST
MISHAWAKA, Ind. - A fire destroyed a home and sent a man to the hospital Sunday night.
The fire started just after 9:00 p.m. inside a trailer near the corner of White Shore Drive and Driftwood in the Lake Shore Estates Mobile Home Park.
A neighbor told ABC 57, they noticed the home was on fire after the man who lived there told her he wanted to end his life.
According to the neighbor, the man had been drinking for several days.
The man's pet dogs were still inside the home at the time of the fire.
Mishawaka Fire Department officials told ABC 57 one of the dogs died inside the trailer, and a second was taken to an emergency clinic.
Workers at the Animal Emergency Clinic on Grape Road confirmed the dog arrived there, and one of the veterinarians told us just before midnight, no dogs had died during her shift.
The man himself, a 56-year-old, was taken to Memorial Hospital according to firefighters at the scene. They did not know his condition or how he was injured; only that he required medical attention.
Investigators with the Mishawaka Fire Department will conduct a full investigation in light of the comments made to the witness by the man who lives at the home.
It could take several days to determine if the fire was intentionally set or if it was accidental in nature.
Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!