Four horses in Elkhart test positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis
Because there is no vaccination for humans, Elkhart County health officials want to remind residents to be vigilant about protecting themselves from mosquitoes.
Three Michigan residents have died from the disease. The victims lived in Cass, Van Buren and Kalamazoo counties.
Here are steps you can take to avoid mosquito bites:
- Apply insect repellents that contain the active ingredient DEET, or other U.S. Environmental Protection Agency-registered product to exposed skin or clothing, and always follow the manufacturer’s directions for use
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors. Apply insect repellent to clothing to help prevent bites
- Maintain window and door screening to help keep mosquitoes outside
- Empty water from mosquito breeding sites around the home, such as buckets, unused kiddie pools, old tires or similar sites where mosquitoes may lay eggs
- Use nets and/or fans over outdoor eating areas