IDEM issues Air Quality Action Day for Indiana counties, including St. Joseph and Elkhart
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has issued an Air Quality Action Day and is forecasting high ozone levels for Saturday, August 3, in the following areas:
- Central Indiana – Marion, Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Delaware, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Monroe, Morgan and Shelby
- North Central Indiana – St. Joseph, Elkhart
- Northwest Indiana – Lake, Porter, LaPorte
IDEM encourages everyone to help reduce ozone by making simple changes to their daily habits.
They recommend the following actions:
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation
- Avoid using the drive-through and combine errands into one trip
- Avoid refueling your vehicle or using gasoline-powered lawn equipment until after 7 p.m.
- Turn off your engine when idling for more than 30 seconds
- Conserve energy by turning off lights or setting the air conditioner to 75 degrees or above
High ozone levels can affect anyone who is sensitive to changes in air quality.
IDEM says that children, the elderly and anyone with heart or lung conditions should avoid exertion and heavy work outdoors.
IDEM examines weather patterns and current ozone readings to make daily air quality forecasts.
To learn more about ozone or sign up for air quality forecasts, visit Indiana’s Smog Watch web page.