Jury deliberations for man suspected of killing Chrisyah Stephens

NOW: Jury deliberations for man suspected of killing Chrisyah Stephens

SOUTH BEND, IN. -- Jury deliberations are underway for the man suspected of killing seven-year-old Chrisyah Stephens last year. 

The jury is set to decide whether Jaheim Campbell is guilty of the crime. 

Chrisyah Stephens was killed on August 29 last year, the victim of a drive by shooting. For Weeks, family and community members pleaded for whoever was responsible to turn themselves in.

On October 15, Jaheim Campbell was arrested on an unrelated warrant, but was later charged for the murder of Chrisyah.

The attorneys made their final arguments today:

According to the prosecution, Jaheim Campbell wasn't targeting Chrisyah, but instead someone named 'SB Nasty,' who had allegedly badmouthed a deceased cousin of Campbell's.

Campbell was also believed to have created a Facebook account, called Hemo Cam, ten days before the shooting, with the intention of intimidating SB Nasty.

After the shooting, a witness messaged the account, asking simply, 'Why?"

The account messaged back saying they had to 'get' SB Nasty.

The defense tells a different story, saying Campbell did not have a beef with SB Nasty, alleging the Hemo Cam account was created by a man named Jacob Brown, who was jealous of SB Nasty for sleeping with his former girlfriend.

The defense also alleges that Jaheim was 'coerced' into talking to detectives and intimidated, telling multiple, contradictory stories that muddled the truth of the situation. 

According to the defense, the alleged perpetrator of the shooting that killed Chrisyah, going under the moniker 'Taliban Tukka,' had already been arrested and was found with the murder weapon, but is being charged for a different crime. 

The defense asserts that Campbell's image was selected for the Hemo Cam account because he had a reputation.

The prosecution rebutted these claims, saying there is no evidence connecting Brown and Taliban Tukka together, and that it is more likely that Campbell had given the weapon over to Tukka. 

Chrisyah Stephens's family was in court as well, and became emotional during the prosecution's testimony, which broke down the timeline of events from the Hemo Cam Facebook page's creation to her death. 

Campbell himself was relatively emotionless, and sat still during both arguments. 

The family of Chrisyah has declined to talk, preferring to wait until the jury releases their verdict. 

Share this article: