La Porte Police promotes safe driving
LA PORTE COUNTY, Ind. – With the holidays coming up, La Porte County Police Department wants to remind drivers the importance of safe driving.
As of Monday, they have issued 67 citations and made two arrests over a 24-day period.
“Why do we enforce traffic laws? There is only one reason – to save lives. Anyone who responds to a severe crash, or notifies next of kin, simply wants you and your family to buckle up and drive sober this holiday season,” said Captain Pat Hemphill.
Officials will continue to enforce impaired driving, seat belt, and other traffic laws to ensure the roads are safe.
Here are some other tips offered by LPPD:
- Designate, or be, a sober driver.
- Use public transportation.
- Call a cab or a ridesharing service.
- Celebrate at home or a place where you can stay until sober.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages and plenty of food
- Ask young drivers about their plans.
- Friend or family member about to drive? Take the keys and make alternate arrangements.
Officers say if you see an impaired driver, safely turn off the road away from that vehicle and call 911.