Laminating machine causes early morning fire at Elkhart business

ELKHART, Ind.—A laminating machine caused a fire at an Elkhart business early Wednesday morning, according to the Elkhart Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to a fire at Interior Components Plus in the 2300 block of W. Mishawaka Road on Wednesday morning around 4 a.m.

At the scene, firefighters reported seeing heavy smoke in the area and throughout the building.

Workers on site told firefighters that a glue laminating machine had caught fire and set off a sprinkler.

Attempts made by workers to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful.

After putting out the fire, officials found that the fire was caused by a malfunction in the laminating machine which overheated oil, causing it to ignite, the fire department said.

The company was able to continue normal operations on Wednesday.

The fire department did not say whether or not there were any injuries sustained in the fire.

Share this article: