Man dies from injuries sustained in apartment fire in Sturgis

STURGIS, Mich. - A man found unconscious in an apartment fire on New Year's Day later died at the hospital, according to the Sturgis Department of Public Safety.

At 1:26 a.m. on Sunday, emergency crews were called to the 200 block of W. West St. for a structure fire.

At the scene, crews were met with heavy smoke and fire coming from an upstairs apartment.

Inside the apartment, firefighters found a man in his 50s who was unconscious and not breathing.

Firefighters got the man out of the apartment so he could receive medical treatment.

The man later died at the hospital.

Crews contained the fire to a single apartment and a shared attic space.

The fire displaced three families who are now being assisted by the St. Joseph County Victim Services and the Red Cross.

The fire is under investigation but does not appear to be suspicious in nature, according to law enforcement.

A firefighter from the department of public safety was treated for smoke inhalation.

If you have any information about the fire, please call Fire Marshal Cody Cripe at 269-651-7008.

Share this article: