Mom saves her children from a burning house with seconds to spare
Posted: Dec 10, 2014 3:22 AM EDT | Updated: Dec 10, 2014 3:34 AM EDT
“My house is gone and it happened so quickly,” Stone said.
A spark, turned into massive flames.
“It was minutes, just minutes,” Stone said.
This mother of five had only seconds to get her family out of their burning home.
“It took me a second to really realize what was happening. When I opened the bedroom door and it was full of smoke, it took me a minute to grasp that this was a serious house fire,” Stone recounted.
Stone says in a panic, she dropped her phone.
“There was so much smoke I couldn't see my phone anymore,” Stone said. “I made the oldest girls run outside. Then I yelled for my father-in-law who is hard of hearing, I got him out of his chair, got him moving and grabbed my four month old baby off the couch on the way out."
It was their last time out of the place they called home.
"I did not anticipate when I got everybody out of the house, that I was going to lose my house. I did not think that I was going to walk out and never walk back in,” said Stone.
Stone says although her family lost all of their belongings, she is grateful.
“I am just very thankful that I have all of my children and my father in law and most of my pets," said Stone.
Looking at the charred building that was once her family's home, said, there were no words to describe losing her home in minutes—Stone was speechless. But her fiancé calls her a hero.
The Red Cross is providing temporary housing for the family, but in three days, the family will have to start from scratch.
Neighbors in the River Park neighborhood have started a donation page to help get the family back on their feet: