Notre Dame vs. Miami of Ohio

NOW: Notre Dame vs. Miami of Ohio

NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- The Miami RedHawks traveled from Oxford, Ohio to take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium.

The Irish, obviously looking to improve on their 3-1 over a 2-2 RedHawks team.

On the third play of Notre Dame's first possession, Irish runningback Josh Adams would juke around a defender and take the ball 73 yards for an early touchdown. ND would go up 7-0 after the kick just over 30 seconds into the game.

On Miami's ensuing possession, RedHawks' quarterback Gus Ragland's pass would land in the hands of ND defender Greer Martini at the ND 22-yard line. Greer took it to the Miami 36 where the Irish would take over.

That interception would set up ND's Brandon Wimbush to drive his team down the field and eventually keep the ball for an easy 1-yard touchdown. Justin Yoon's kick was good, putting the Irish up 14-0 with just over 11:00 to go in the first quarter.

After allowing the Fighting Irish to score two touchdowns early on, the RedHawks would be sure to score one of their own. With 11:36 left in the first quarter, Miami would take an 8-play, 73-yard drive to cross the goal line. On 3rd and 10 at the Notre Dame 34-yard line, Ragland launched the ball down the field and found his man James Gardner in the endzone for a touchdown. The kick was good and the RedHawks would be within one score, 14-7.

On Notre Dame's following possession, Adams would fight through defenders and dodge tackles, taking the ball 59 yards for his second touchdown of the day. After the kick the Irish pull away, 21-7 over Miami of Ohio.

With just over 2:00 to go, Ragland would be sacked at the RedHawks' 33-yard line when he fumbled the ball. ND's Jay Hayes would be quick to fall on top and the Irish would take over at the MOH 30-yard line.

During the next drive, Adams, who was running the ball through the defense, got caught up and walked off the field voluntarily for a possible injury to his leg. The would be a blow to the Irish offense as explosive running back Dexter Williams was out of the game with an ankle injury.

Shortly after, Wimbush would connect with Chase Claypool in the endzone to give Notre Dame a 21-point lead. The Irish would pull away 28-7 just before the end of the first quarter.

The start of the second quarter was silent on both ends until Wimbush connects with Equanimeous St. Brown for another Notre Dame touchdown. The Fighting Irish were in total control with a 34-7 lead.

The RedHawks answered the Irish with just over 12:00 to go in the half. Ragland completed another pass to Gardner for his second TD of the game. The extra point would be good and Miami tacks on another seven points. ND would continue to lead 35-14.

On ND's ensuing drive, the Irish would be stopped and forced to settle for a 43-yard field goal on 4th and 5. Yoon would nail the kick and the Irish add another three. ND 38, MOH 14.

Just before the end of the half, Wimbush finds Miles Boykin and he would take it 45 yards for an Irish touchdown, taking an even wider lead, 45-14 after the kick.

The Fighting Irish would head into halftime holding a hefty lead over Miami.

The only score in the third quarter would be made by the Miami of Ohio RedHawks. After a 7-play drive, MOH would be forced to go for three on 4th and 2. RedHawk kicker Samuel Sloman would hit the 38-yard field goal. 'Hawks tried to inch closer but Notre Dame would be too far with a 28-point lead.

In the middle of the fourth quarter, the Irish would widen the gap even more. With just over 10:00 to go in the game, Wimbush was replaced by Ian Book. Book lead his team down the field and running back Deon McIntosh led the ball to the endzone. Irish pull away with a 52-17 lead after Yoon's kick.

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish would go on to win it with ease 52-17 over the RedHawks of Miami of Ohio and improve their record to 4-1.

The Irish take on the Tar Heels of North Carolina at Kenan Memorial Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

Share this article: