Passenger arrested on drug charges, weapons charges following traffic stop
NILES, Mich. -- Niles Police arrested the passenger in a vehicle after allegedly finding drugs and a gun in the vehicle, according to reports.
Police conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle near 6th and Wayne for a traffic violation on Tuesday around 5:30 p.m.
The passenger in the vehicle, 24-year-old Elbert Briggs, was taken into custody on an outstanding warrant.
While searching the vehicle, police said they found a 9 mm pistol and several packages of crack cocaine where Briggs had been sitting, police said.
Briggs was taken into custody on the following charges:
- Possess crack cocaine with intent to deliver (less than 50 grams) - Felony
- Carry concealed firearm in automobile – Felony
- Felon in possession of firearm – Felony
- Possess firearm in commission of felony – Felony
- Warrant for motor vehicle-unlawful use - Misdemeanor
Briggs was arraigned on Wednesday and bond was set at $17,500 cash or surety.