Please note: Over-the-air viewers in South Bend need to re-scan televisions on Friday, October 18 to continue to receive ABC57, MyMichiana, Telemundo, MeTV, Decades, Movies!, Start TV and ThisTV and most other local channels in addition to WBND/WMYS. Those viewers unable to currently receive these stations over-the-air should see improved reception on October 18. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Further information on the re-scan can be found at:

https://www.abc57.com/news/antenna-viewers-plan-to-rescan-your-television-on-october-18

Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Power line catches fire in South Bend

SOUTH BEND, In. -- Investigators took pictures of the power line near the 1200 block of Colfax Avenue that turned blistery red, caught on fire, and caused a short in a secondary electric line going to a nearby house.


Batallion Chief Nick Tekler said, "We think some of the lines inside might have also caused a small fire in the lines in the walls and floor, so we are taking our thermal imagers and double checking everything.”


Neighbors reported several loud popping noises and saw smoke coming from the house closest to the power line.


James McCafferey said “There was arcing up in the tree. The lines you can see right there were red hot and I believe it caused a short circuit in the air conditioner in the house and there was smoke. Obviously the police cut off Colfax both ways.”


McCafferey lives across the street and said he'd never seen anything like it before.


"The line was glowing red hot and there was smoke glowing off the powerline. If they had not gotten here quicker, maybe there would have been a bigger fire, but as of right now it looks like we are going to be alright," said McCafferey.


The woman who was in the home at the time got out of the home without injury.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?