Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Safety alert: Preventing Carbon Monoxide poisoning

According to Ready.gov, each year hundreds of people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is colorless and odorless, sending more than 20,000 people to the emergency room. And those visits are much more frequent in colder months. The cause could be an increase in gas powered heating and cooling. 

If you want to avoid a hospital visit, remember to never use gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal burning devices inside your home, garage, basement or any enclosed space. That includes generators, grills, and camp stoves.Make sure that when you take these things outside they are at least 20 feet from doors, windows or vents.

The South Bend Fire Department encourages you to install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home. If the alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors.

Call for emergency personnel from outdoors and stay there until they arrive.

Every homeowner in South Bend is eligible for a free carbon monoxide detector from the South Bend fire department. You can apply for yours here. You can send it to the following address:

South Bend Fire Department

1222 South Michigan St.

South Bend, Indiana 46601

You can also apply over the phone by calling the South Bend Fire Department at 574.235.9255. 

Share this article: