Sandbags being offered in preparation for flooding
Various locations across Michiana are offering sand and sandbags in preparation for flooding.
The ABC57 weather team is predicting heavy rains which may result in serious flooding, especially in floodplains.
Below is a list of where residents can pick up their free sand.
- Elkhart County Highway Department: 59308 County Road 7 north of County Road 26 on the east side of the garage
- Boy Scouts camp: County Road 46 west of State Road 15
St. Joseph County
- Warren Fire Department Station #18: 54837 Quince Road
- Penn Township Station #13: 13750 McKinley Highway
- South Bend Street Department: 731 S Lafayette Boulevard (hours vary, call ahead)
- Mishawaka Street Department: 500 N Cedar Street
- Clay Fire Department: 18355 Auten Road
- Riverside Garage: 3301 Riverside Drive (sandbags available 6 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.)
- Woodland Garage: 15973 New Road (sandbags available 6 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.)
A map of all St. Joseph County locations can be found here.
Sand and sand bags are available at the following locations. Please bring a shovel to fill the bags
- Plymouth Street Department
- Parking lot at the corner of Water and Garro streets.