Five hurt, including children, in La Porte County SUV vs. truck crash
LA PORTE, Ind. -- Five people have been seriously hurt, including children, in an accident involving a sport utility vehicle and a tractor trailer.
The accident took place around 8 P.M. eastern time at State Road 2 and 18th Street on the west side of La Porte, in front of the La Porte County fairgrounds.
Investigators say a white 2003 Mercury Mountaineer with five people inside was traveling west on 18th and had stopped at the intersection of SR 2. After making the stop, the Mountaineer pulled into the path of a blue 2018 International semi tractor-trailer traveling eastbound.
The driver of the Mercury Mountaineer told deputies she believed that the eastbound semi tractor-trailer had to stop at the intersection.
Investigators say both drivers tested negative for alcohol.
Two medical helicopters and three ambulances responded to the scene.
The road was reopened about 90 minutes after the crash.
The victims have been identified as:
- Michael Owen, age 38 Francesville, IN ( not injured )
- Myrna Santos, age 36, Hamond, IN - driver, complaint of pain entire body
- Andre Santos, age 16, Hammond, IN - rear driver’s side believed to have been ejected, internal injuries entire body, flown from scene
- Josiyah Santos, 8. Hammond, IN - rear middle seat, internal injuries abdomen and pelvis – flown from hospital
- Aaliyah Santos, 12, Hammond, IN - rear passenger’s side, complaint of pain entire body
- Janice Vasquez, age 44, East Chicago, IN - front seat passenger, complaint of chest pain
- Information provided by La Porte County sheriff's department