Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Small kitchen fire sparks in Elkhart senior apartment building

ELKHART, Ind. – Wednesday night, fire fighters rushed to Water Tower Place Apartments to put out a small kitchen fire.

Investigators say food left unattended on the stove is likely what started the fire. Crews were able to put out flames quickly.

The woman who lives inside that unit got out safely, but for now she'll have to find somewhere else to stay.

"She probably won't be allowed back in yet,” said Elkhart Fire Department Battalion Chief Wes Johnson. “Maybe a day or two after things are cleaned up on site or somewhere else."

Johnson said there wasn't any other damage inside of the senior apartment building.

Share this article: