Storms cause tree to crash into Plymouth restaurant

NOW: Storms cause tree to crash into Plymouth restaurant

PLYMOUTH, Ind. - Yolanda's Bar and Grille in Plymouth is cleaning up the rubble Wednesday after storms caused a tree to come crashing down into their restaurant Tuesday.

Thankfully, no one was hurt.

The family said they always wondered about the large, rotting tree leaning toward their roof but hadn't decided to remove it before it was too late.

“It was kind of shocking to walk into the back room and see a literal tree branch hanging from the ceiling with water pouring down," said Edgar Quiroz, the son of owner Yolanda Quiroz.

Storms toppled a huge tree into the family restaurant Tuesday evening.

“I was charging a customer when it happened. It was raining really bad...and all of a sudden I hear this loud crashing sound, and at first I thought maybe it was a hood that fell or something," said Edgar.

“The guys in the kitchen come out running. They’re literally running out. They’re like oh my god there’s a tree in the kitchen. And I call my mom right away," he said.

“And he said that the tree fell on our business, and that’s all we have, you know, for my family. My boys work for me and my husband, so this is a family business, so I’m very sad," said his mom, Yolanda.

From a bird's eye view, you can see holes in the roof where branches just ripped through the kitchen ceiling, scattering leaves amongst ceiling tiles, weaving a web of wires hanging down.

“It fell right on top of the kitchen area where we had employees working there, so it could have gone way further down south, you know?” said Edgar.

“I just couldn’t believe it. I just said this is it. I thought maybe we just not going to be in business no more because it was too much," said Yolanda.

Thanks to insurance, Yolanda won't have to close the doors of a restaurant that's been open for 16 years.

“We’re strong as a community and we stick together, so I’m just so happy that we have the support," said Edgar.

Edgar and Yolanda anticipate that it will take them about a week and a half to clean everything up.

Share this article: