Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

UPDATE: Autopsy determines toddler died from suffocation

WARSAW, Ind. -- Warsaw police are investigating the death of a child at the home of his babysitter.

On Monday, police said they responded to a 911 call at 1:39 p.m. made from a Union Street home on Warsaw’s South Side.

According to police, upon arrival along with MTEMS medics, 18-month-old Payton Brettell was unresponsive, he was taken to Kosciusko Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2:13 p.m.

An autopsy was performed on Tuesday afternoon at the Northeast Regional Forensic Center in Fort Wayne.

The cause of death was determined to be suffocation.

Warsaw detectives, Kosciusko County Coroner’s investigators and Division of Child Service personnel are currently investigating this matter. Official autopsy results could take up to a month to be complete.

Valis Owens lives down the street from where the emergency crews rushed to on Monday afternoon. He saw the medics rushing down the street and heard the sirens. "I thought maybe someone was having a heart attack, I didn't know, but I found out a little 2 year old kid was involved and died," said Owens.

Owens pointed out the house in the 900 block of Union Street where the boy was found. Police say he was at his babysitter's house. Owens said, "she (the women who lives there) has a daycare there." 

Lt. Kip Shuter with the Warsaw Police Department announced around 5:15pm Tuesday, "preliminary autopsy results found accidental death due to positional asphyxia." He said investigating a child's death like this one can be exceptionally tough. Our officers have problems with this, it's not a very comfortable thing to be able to deal with for anybody that's involved, one of our responding officers actually has a child that same age and it effects you quite a bit," said Shuter.

The death of 18-month-old Payton Brettell has also effected neighbors like Valis Owens. He said he waited since yesterday to find out just what happened to the little boy who he felt died way too soon in life. He stood with his arm around his grandson as they both reminisced about what they saw yesterday afternoon on what usually Owens said is a peaceful and quite neighborhood.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?