Nicholas Stanley retains new attorney 32 days before murder trial

ELKHART COUNTY, Ind.--- Nicholas Stanley retained a new attorney just 32 days before trial. Thursday, an Elkhart judge maintained the Sept. 21 trial date, despite Stanley’s request for more time to craft a defense.

Stanley is charged for the June 2025 murder of Allen Cogswell. In an exclusive video interview, Stanley told ABC57's Annie Kate from behind bars that he did the crime, explaining Cogswell had molested one of his young relatives, and was released from prison early.

Elkhart County Superior Court Judge Michael Cristofeno allowed Vincent Campiti to take over as Stanley’s primary counsel, replacing Chief Deputy Public Defender Bridgette Faulkner.

Campiti said Stanley has wanted to retain him for months but couldn't scrounge the funds. He said he is representing Stanley pro bono "at this point."

Campiti, who only filed into the case Wednesday, also filed a motion to continue, or postpone, the trial, which the judge denied.

Cristofeno was visibly irritated by the request and explained that subpoenas and jury summons had already been sent out, so trial remains set for Sept. 21.

It’s still unclear what Stanley’s defense will look like.

His original counsel tried to argue a "sudden heat" defense, meaning the emotion felt by the defendant was so great, it would obscure the reason of an ordinary person. It "prevents deliberation and premeditation, excludes malice, and renders the defendant incapable of cooL reflection prior to acting."

Cristofeno stopped that strategy in its tracks.

As stated in an Aug. 10 court order, he is prohibiting anything from trial that could lead to jury nullification, or a jury decision based on feelings rather than what the law states.

So, Cogswell's prior conviction, which could demonstrate a motive, cannot be shared with a jury.

The order stated, "The court finds that any relevance the evidence of the victim's prior conviction has is outweighed by unfair prejudice and the danger of misleading the jury or confusing the issues."

Two more pre-trial status conferences were set, Sept. 10 and 17, then trial begins Sept. 21.


Close