Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Accident leads to Niles house fire

NILES, Mich. — It all started with a small lit candle. The homeowner's three dogs were playing together in the family room adjacent to the garage when they bumped into the entertainment center. A lit candle fell off the shelf and into a basket of mismatched socks.


The homeowner grabbed a vase full of water and poured it on the few embers and thought it was out.


She went downstairs to grab something and came back up to find the entire wall and family room engulfed in flames.


The woman was the only home at the time, so she grabbed the dogs and ran out. But she was unable to get the cat or her vehicle out of the garage. 


Even neighbors tried to help but where unable to get the cat or the car out of the garage.


 

Share this article: