Autopsy results reveals cause of death for 6 people in motel fire

Curtis Family

A picture of the Curtis family courtesy of Kiarre Curtis' Facebook page.

Kiarre Curtis

Picture of Kiarre Curtis courtesy of her Facebook page.

SODUS TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- The Berrien County's Sheriff Department have confirmed 6 people died in a fire at the Cosmo Extended Stay Motel early Saturday morning.

Officials say all of the victims who have died were from one family.

The autopsies performed stated the cause of these deaths was smoke inhalation.

Four other people who were living at the motel and four first responders were treated for smoke inhalation. They are expected to be okay.

The victims who died have been identified as:

  • Kiarre Curtis, age 26
  • Marquis Thomas, age 10
  • Gerome Randolph, age 7
  • Samuel Curtis, age 5
  • Savod Curtis, age 4
  • Avery Curtis, age 2

Curtis is the mother of the five children who lost their lives.

Officials said that the cause of the fire was due to a faulty electrical appliance but have not confirmed what kind of appliance it was at this time.

Share this article: