Benton Harbor sees service line replacement as soon as next week
BENTON HARBOR, Mich. -- Benton Harbor residents can expect to see construction efforts to replace service lines as soon as next week.
This is part of an accelerated effort to reduce the risk of exposure to lead in the city of Benton Harbors drinking water.
The removal of an initial 100 suspected lead service lines will begin next week as part of a plan to replace all of the city’s service lines.
Residents are encouraged to complete the Water Service Line Replacement Agreement available online to assure work is completed as soon as possible.
Contractors cannot begin work on any property without property owner authorization. Completed forms can be returned to Abonmarche, 95 West Main Street, Benton Harbor, MI 49022 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Water distribution continues for over 127,00 cases to date.
To arrange water delivery for residents without transportation in the city of Benton Harbor, contact 211, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The upcoming schedule for bottled water pickup is:
Saturday, Nov. 6
• Boys & Girls Club of Benton Harbor, 600 Nate Wells Sr. Drive, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• Harbor of Hope Seventh-Day Adventist Church, 769 Pipestone Street, 4 – 6 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 7
• Abundant Life Church of God, 693 Columbus Avenue, 3 – 5 p.m.
• Brotherhood of All Nations, 1286 Monroe Street, 4 – 6 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 8
• Southwest Community Action Agency, 331 Miller Street, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Self-service)
• Abundant Life Church of God, 693 Columbus Avenue, noon – 2 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 9
• Southwest Community Action Agency, 331 Miller Street, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Self-service)
• Abundant Life Church of God, 693 Columbus Avenue, noon - 2 p.m.
• Ebenezer Baptist Church, 214 E. Britain Avenue, 4 - 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 10
• Southwest Community Action Agency, 331 Miller Street, 3 - 6 p.m., (Water loaded into vehicles by volunteers)
For questions about lead, MDHHS can be reached at 866-691-5323 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.