Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Breaking News

Berrien County Lieutenant recalls Quality Inn tragedy

In Niles, the Quality Inn hotel remains closed just over 48 hours after a carbon monoxide leak killed a teenage boy and sent several others to nearby hospitals.

First responders risked their lives Saturday, making sure that entire building was completely clear.

Earlier Monday afternoon, one of those first responders, a lieutenant with the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department took ABC 57 back to the scene.

Lieutenant Mark Mckie, with the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department, arrived to the scene Saturday morning and went to work immediately, performing CPR on two children, including 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts.

The thirteen year veteran, also poisoned by carbon monoxide, had to take a quick trip to the hospital and was released Saturday afternoon.

He says everyone’s appreciation, has not gone unnoticed.

“I’ve heard a couple comments on television, where the kids are appreciative of  the response, a lot of times we’re reacting to crimes and to actually have a day where being tragic but also saving lives is kind of bittersweet,” said Mckie.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?