Bomb squad called in after 12-year-old brings fake grenade to school

MISHAWAKA, Ind. -- Students and staff at Grissom Middle School got quite a scare on Thursday when a bomb squad was called in a little before 11 a.m.

St. Joseph County Police said that a 12-year-old boy brought a hand grenade to school.
A group of students told a school administrator that the boy had the hand grenade in a backpack in his locker.
They said the boy had been showing the grenade to students on the bus ride to school and inside the school as well.
Police said the administrator then contacted the boy's teacher, who made him remove his backpack from his locker and place it in front of the building, outside of the school.
Their safety plan as activated and administrators waited for police to arrive.
South Bend Police Department Bomb Squad technicians arrived on the scene and examined the grenade. They found that it was not a live grenade and appeared to be a replica.
The students are not in danger.
School officials later told the police that the 12-year-old boy had told them it was a WWII replica he had received as a gift from his grandfather. He also said he brought it to school to show his friends because he thought it would be something neat to show them. Police said the boy did not appear to want to hurt anyone or damage the school.
The School Resource Officers are continuing to investigate the incident. The boy was released into the custody of his mother.
The school said the boy is suspended and is being recommended for expulsion.
"They're 12. He thought it'd be funny, he thought it'd be cool, he probably brought it and didn't even think about it, and like I said, unless he has a history of problems, no he shouldn't be expelled," said Cherl Crimpton as she waited to pick up her grandson from school
This letter was posted on the Grissom Middle School website:
February 9, 2012
Dear Grissom parent:
We wanted you to know that today a sixth grade student brought a grenade to school. He showed the grenade to several students who reported it to an adult. The grenade was removed from the school and we immediately implemented our school safety plan, called the St. Joseph County Police along with P-H-M Director of Safety and Student Services Mike Seger.
The experts on the police bomb squad evaluated the grenade and determined that it was inactive.  The grenade has been removed from school property. The student has been suspended with a recommendation for expulsion.
We are proud of the students who reported this incident to an adult. We are committed to safety at Grissom Middle School and we encourage you to discuss the importance of school safety with your student.
Grissom Middle School is a wonderful place for students to learn and grow and we appreciate your support. If you have any questions about this incident, please call me.
Mrs.Tammy Matz
This letter will also go home with students at the end of the day.

Share this article: