Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Joseph County to reopen July 6th
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Boys & Girls Club of St. Joseph County has plans to reopen on Monday, July 6th with a new Summer Program. This program gives kids a safe, educational, and fun place to go as families return to work.
The Summer Program includes visual and performing arts, educational games and literacy, yoga and wellness, and outdoor sports featuring a new bicycle education program.
Health lunch and snacks will be served every day.
Club locations will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, from July 6 until August 7.
Due to an expected high demand, an online lottery will be used to determine registration eligibility for the Summer Program, with priority given to current Club members.
The deadline to apply for the lottery is 12 p.m. on Monday, June 15, with more information available on their website.
The following procedures will be in place to ensure everyone’s safety:
- Drop-off and pick-up will take place curbside in front of Club locations.
- Upon arrival, staff and children will have their temperature taken and parents will be asked if the child has any symptoms of illness. Temperatures will be taken again at noon each day.
- Programming will incorporate social distancing guidelines with small group sizes and a ratio of 2 staff members to 9 children.
- Children and staff will wear masks inside.
- Children and staff will wash hands regularly according to a schedule.
- High-touch areas will be disinfected frequently.
- Field trips will be postponed until further notice.
- Outside guests, parents, and volunteers will not be admitted inside of Club locations.
In order to maintain social distancing guidelines, the Club sites have been expanded to serve 405 children at the seven following locations:
- O.C. Carmichael, Jr. Youth Center | BGCSJC’s flagship site | 520 E Sample St, South Bend
- Muessel Elementary School | 1021 Blaine Ave, South Bend
- Harrison Elementary School | 3302 W Western Ave, South Bend
- O’Brien Recreation Center | 321 E Walter St, South Bend
- The Beacon Resource Center | 4210 Lincoln Way West, South Bend
- Battell Elementary School | 715 E Broadway St, Mishawaka
- LaSalle Elementary School | 1511 Milburn Blvd, Mishawaka
With an increase of locations and safety precautions, the Club is hiring for additional staff.