Charges filed in August incident at the Linebacker

Charges have been filed in an altercation that happened outside the Linebacker Lounge in August.

According to South Bend Police, they responded to the Linebacker Lounge early August 20 for a disturbance. By the time police arrived the disturbance had been resolved.

As the officers walked back to their squad cars, they witnessed a woman with blond hair, later identified as Haleigh Bailey, kick a woman in the head, according to Bailey's probable cause affidavit.

While officers were headed towards the curb to arrest Bailey for battery, a man later identified as Devin Butler, lunged at the woman who kicked the other woman, according to Butler's probable cause affidavit.

Butler had an altercation with the officers and was taken into custody. When the officers attempted to speak with the women involved in the incident, they were gone, according to Bailey's probable cause affidavit.

The following day, a South Bend Police officer responded to the St. Joseph Regional Medical Center to speak with a woman who said she had been injured by a woman at the Linebacker Lounge the day before.

The victim said she spoke to a man outside the Linebacker, walked away, then heard a woman say, "I don't appreciate you talking to my boyfriend like that," according to Bailey's probable cause affidavit.

According to the victim, Bailey struck her in the left side of the face, knocking her to the ground. While her friends were trying to help her up, Bailey allegedly kicked the victim in the face causing her to fall back and hit her head on the pavement.

The victim told police she suffered nausea and headaches and when she sought medical attention, was diagnosed with a cervical sprain, concussion and wrist pain, according to court documents.

When the victim spoke with officers on August 26, she identified a BMV photo of Bailey as the person who struck her and kicked her.

An arrest warrant was issued for Bailey for battery resulting in moderate bodily injury.

Butler was charged with resisting law enforcement and battery against a public safety official. In October he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of resisting law enforcement and was placed on pretrial diversion for one year.

Share this article: