Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Classrooms at Washington High School evacuated for suspected gas leak

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- South Bend dispatch received a call at 1:19 p.m. on Friday about a strange odor inside Washington High School.

Students and staff at the school said they smelled gas.

School officials evacuated the affected area of the school, seven classrooms, and called the South Bend Fire Department.

Kids were evacuated around 1:25 p.m.

Shortly after, crews from the fire department arrived at the scene to investigate.

By 1:45 p.m., emergency responders decided that everything was okay and sent everyone back inside.

As of 2:15 p.m., NIPSCO was on the scene and said they think the smell came from a nearby excavation project.


Share this article: