Crossroads United Way holding county-wide food drive this Saturday
ELKHART COUNTY, Ind. – The United Against Hunger Food and Fund Drive will take place this Saturday, May 8, throughout Elkhart County as a means to help ease the high donation demand at local food pantries.
The idea of the food drive was created in the spring of 2020 in response to an increase in demand for food assistance at local pantries because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This increase in demand has continued into 2021.
“The past year has been tough. Many of our neighbors are trying to bounce back from illness, loss of wages and other challenges. Keeping our local pantries stocked means that support is available to those who need it and putting food on the table is one less anxiety,” said Matt Puro, Manager of Marketing and Administration for Crossroads United Way.
Donations will be accepted at eight drive-through locations across the county from 9 a.m. to noon. Participants can donate nonperishable food and hygiene items, but organizers are mostly asking for financial donations as the most effective way of combatting hunger locally.
With bulk pricing, a $25 donation can provide 75 meal servings for a family.
The following pantries will evenly split the proceeds of the drive:
- Bristol Food Pantry, 101 W. Vistula St., Bristol
- Church Community Services, 907 Oakland Ave., Elkhart
- Faith Mission, 801 Benham Ave., Elkhart
- Northwood High School, 2101 N. Main St, Nappanee
- Middlebury Food Pantry, 13307 CR 13, Middlebury
- Salvation Army of Elkhart, 300 N. Main St., Elkhart
- Salvation Arm0y of Goshen, 1013 N. Main St., Goshen
- The Window, 223 S. Main St., Goshen
Monetary donations can be made at the link here.