Dirty Dining: Best and worst restaurant inspections
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. -- When you take the time to choose a restaurant, sit down and order a meal, you want it to be safe. ABC57's Emily Pritchard is highlighting the best and worst restaurant inspection results in St. Joseph County for the first half of October.
During that time, 124 retail food establishment inspection reports were taken.
Bruno's Pizza on Prairie Avenue in South Bend logged the most violations.
This inspection was made after a complaint to the health department.
Inspectors recorded 4 critical violations including raw chicken sitting directly above a case of fresh lettuce.
There were 16 non-critical violations, including unwrapped bread sitting on table with gnats swarming over it.
There were 7 repeat violations.
Mishawaka's Chuck E. Cheese on West McKinley Avenue recorded 3 critical violations including numerous flies around beverage machines and salad bar area.
There were 5 non critical, like storing open packages of candy on the floor in stock area.
This restaurant had no repeat violations.
Rounding out the worst list was The Hot Dog House on Lincolnway West in Mishawaka.
There were 2 critical violations. Cooked ribs measured only 44 degrees Fahrenheit, but they are supposed to be at 41-degrees or below to cool or hold.
Raw chicken measured 46 degrees Fahrenheit, which is also supposed to be kept at 41-degrees or below.
The reports shows 8 non critical violations. There were tires, bicycles and unused equipment stored in two dry stock areas and a former walk-in cooler.
There were five repeat violations.
There were 42 establishments with perfect food inspections including the American Pancake House on west McKinley Avenue, Javier's Bistro on Miami Street and Woochi Japanese Fusion and Bar on West Washington Street.
Complete list of food establishments with perfect inspections:
- American Pancake House, W. McKinley Ave.
- Arby’s, Lincolnway West
- Battell School, E. Broadway St.
- Beiger Elementary School, Third St.
- Burger King, Portage Rd.
- Carriage House, Adams Rd.
- Christ the King School, U.S. 31 North
- D’Avella Family Winery Tasting Room, Bittersweet Rd.
- Discovery Middle School, Brummitt Rd.
- Don Juan Cantina & Grill, Sample St.
- DuComb Correctional Center, Lathrop
- Edison Intermediate School, Eisenhower
- Emmons School, S. Main
- Gaby’s Ice Cream Shop, S. Michigan St.
- Granger Christian School, Gumwood Rd.
- H & A Stop & Shop, Lincolnway West
- Harvest church of Christ, E. Mishawaka
- Horizon School, Brummitt Rd.
- Hums School, Harrison Rd.
- Javier’s Bistro, Miami St.
- Jefferson Intermediate School, Eddy St.
- La Marea Bar, W. Western Ave.
- Liberty Elementary, E. Pregel Dr.
- Long Shots, E. Michigan St.
- Madison Primary Elementary, N. Lafayette Blvd.
- Meijer, Portage Rd.
- Mishawaka High School, Lincolnway East
- Northpoint Elementary, Cherry Rd.
- Olive Township Elementary School, W. Ben Street
- Perley Primary School, N. Eddy St.
- Prairie Vista Elementary School, Brick Rd.
- South Bend Career Academy, Crescent Circle
- South Bend Career Academy Concessions, Crescent Circle
- St. Bavo School, W. 8th Street
- St. Joseph High School, Notre Dame
- Sufficient Grounds, W. LaSalle Ave.
- Taco Bell, Lincolnway West
- Tarkington Traditional School, Hepler Street
- V.F.W. Post, Tamarack Rd.
- Wendy’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers, W. McKinley Ave.
- Wine & Canvas, E. University Dr.
- Woochi Japanese Fusion & Bar, W. Washington St.