Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Doctors trying to save life of 2-year-old who fell in pool at Osceola daycare

OSCEOLA, Ind. – A little girl, just under two-years-old, was taken to Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis after falling into the pool at her Osceola daycare on Beverly Court Thursday afternoon.

Osceola Police were called to the daycare just before 1 p.m. on call for a possible drowning.  Osceola Police Chief Phil Brown said nine children were at the home on Thursday and had just come in from swimming in the fenced in backyard pool.  The children and their caretaker were cleaning up when two of the children somehow slipped away and got into the backyard.  A four-year-old who was jumping on the backyard trampoline noticed that the other girl had fallen in the pool and tried to pull her out.  The girl fell back into the pool and was finally pulled out by an adult who started CPR.

“We saw all the ambulances out the front door,” described neighbor Kathleen Wood.  “We kind of looked in the backyard and we could see them hovering over the baby, I just hope the baby’s going to be OK.”

Police Chief Brown was one of the first on scene and took over CPR until medics arrived.  Police said the girl did have a pulse as she was taken to Indianapolis. 

St. Joseph County Police were called in to help and Chief Brown asked the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit to take over the investigation.

Parents of the kids at the daycare were called in to pick up their children and be interviewed by detectives.

“I know the little girl that was in the pool and I actually got a little close to her so it’s even hard on me,” described Tina Peffley, whose daughter attends the daycare.  “She was close to all the kids here too, she’s been coming here since I was able to go back to work after having her.”

According to police, the daycare was small enough that it wasn’t required to be licensed.  It is known simply as “Mary’s” and according to neighbors the woman who runs it has been caring for children in her home for over 30-years.

“She’s the last person in the world something like this would happen to, she’s always right with the children so how this could’ve happened she had to have snuck out somehow,” explained neighbor Kathleen Wood.  “Because Mary is very diligent with the children and has quite a reputation so that’s why I’m shocked.”

St. Joseph County Metro Homicide detectives left the scene just before 6:30 p.m. but did not provide an update.  The current condition of the girl is unknown at this time.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?