Driver facing homicide charges in fatal crash on Red Arrow Highway
Jose Humberto Canedo of Benton Harbor was arraigned Friday on the following charges:
- 2 counts of homicide in the second degree
- 2 counts of operating with a high blood alcohol content causing death with prior conviction
- 2 counts of operating with a high blood alcohol content casing serious injury with prior conviction
- 2 counts of operating license suspended, denied, revoked causing death
- 2 counts operating license suspended, denied, revoked causing serious injury
Canedo was driving a Chevy Equinox eastbound on Red Arrow Highway around 2:30 p.m. on January 12 when his vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic and hit a Jeep Grand Cherokee head-on, according to the Van Buren County Sheriff's Department.
Canedo was taken to the hospital in critical condition. There were two passengers in his vehicle. One, a one-year-old male, was transported to Bronson Kalamazoo in critical condition.
The other passenger, Skylinn Sirenne Salinas, 6, was taken to Lakeland Watervliet and was pronounced deceased.
The driver of the Cherokee, 73-year-old Mary Ann Fender, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her passenger, a 57-year-old woman, was taken to Bronson Kalamazoo in critical condition.
Canedo was denied bond.