Experts weigh in on how to grill safely

NOW: Experts weigh in on how to grill safely

NEXT:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The most common fires are in the summer. Many times, they are sparked by hot charcoals and propane grills. If you are using a propane grill, experts recommend checking all of your gas lines and tank before starting. When lighting the grill, always make sure it is open.

However, the biggest cause for concern is where grills are located. Make sure it is 3 to 10 feet away from the house or any structure.

Lincoln Township Fire Chief, Brandon Chiarello, says siding of houses can catch fire in a matter of an instant.

“When they lift up that lid, the grill will be extremely hot and before they know it their siding is on fire,” says Chiarello. “Another one is when they discard the coals from a charcoal fire, and they do not let them cool enough they throw them in the trash can which is usually stored inside the garage or right outside and that ends up catching fire or catching the house on fire.”

Share this article: