Family still looking for answers one year after deadly mass shooting

NOW: Family still looking for answers one year after deadly mass shooting

SOUTH BEND, Ind. --- No arrests have been made one year after the deadly mass shooting at Kelly’s Pub in South Bend and whoever opened fire is still on the loose.

It has been one year since family members say 27-year-old Brandon Williams walked through the doors of Kelly’s Pub for the first and last time.

Family members and loved ones are still grieving and looking for answers in death of Williams. 

“It was scary,” Brandon’s sister, Tiara Williams, said.” “Something like a movie. Stuff that you see in a movie, that’s what we lived that night.”

Police said Williams was just an innocent bystander who was gunned down in the tragic incident.

“That shooting left a hole in a whole lot of hearts,” Brandon’s cousin, Reta Smith, said.

10 other people were injured in the mass shooting in June of 2019; Williams was the only one who died.

“All I remember is the phone calls, the phone calls was ringing in, the text messages,” Tiara said. “That day was just something that none of us will never forget. The, the, people out there, it was just chaos, it was just chaos.”

Brandon’s memory still lives on, the 27-year-old a jack of all trades, according to family members.

“Brandon was a joy to be around, full of laughter,” Tiara said. “He did art, he did…cars was thing. He loved his car.” “And tattoos,” Smith added.

Williams loved tattoos so much that that became his nickname and the title of a documentary ‘Tattoo the World’—a movie all about his life and witnesses, recalling the tragic summer night.

“I wish I had never walked back up, when I walked back up, I can remember Brandon lying on the ground…his feet kicking,” a witness in the documentary recalled. “It was just total chaos, you know, you see stuff on TV, you never think you’ll have to live that or see it and it was just people everywhere, people was crying and screaming.”

One year later, his family is still looking for answers. At the time of this post, no charges have been filed in the case, according to officials.

The suspect or suspects are still out there as loved ones wait for closure.

“Somebody has to know something,” Smith said. “There were a lot of people out there. And I hate when they say in the wrong place at the wrong time, you should be able to go wherever without fear of being shot and or killed.”

“We fight for justice, just to know,” Tiarra said. “But we forgive em, whoever did it we forgive him…that’s the kind of family we are, so we forgive him. So we hope somebody say something, just let us know something.”

The investigation is still actively ongoing.

Share this article: