Gas leak forces Mishawaka family to evacuate home

A gas leak forced a Mishawaka family to evacuate their home!  It also shut down several roads! 

Monday afternoon, an independent contractor hit a major servie pipe.  it happened at the construction site on Mishawaka Avenue.

Out there, you could smell gas from blocks away!

Firefighters set up barricades and roped off a four-clock radius.

"Yeah, we blocked off about a four-block area.  We've evacuated one house at the time.  Right now, we're sittin' pretty good.  We don't think we will have to evacuate any more homes," said Mike Talbot, Assistant Chief with the Mishawaka Fire Department.

He also says the leak should be capped some time Monday night, but traffic may be affected further notice.  You may want to take Jefferson or Lincolnway to avoid the area.


Share this article: