Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Gas leak on Portage Avenue

A gas leak was reported in the 54000 block of Portage Avenue in South Bend Monday morning.

The Clay Fire Department responded to the scene and alerted NIPSCO of the situation just before 10 a.m.

Upon arrival, NIPSCO employees discovered a contractor had caused the gas leak by striking an underground gas line.

Officials with NIPSCO say the scene is safe and crews should have their work finished up by late afternoon.

The residence where the contractor was working was the only customer to lose gas service due to this incident. 

Officials at NIPSCO want to remind everyone to check with NIPSCO before digging to avoid striking underground gas or electrical lines by calling 8-1-1. 

Share this article: