Tree struck by lightning in South Bend causes home gas leak
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A tree in the front yard of a home on the 54000 block of 29th St. in South Bend was hit by lightning Wednesday night, causing a gas leak.
As of 10 p.m., the gas company was still inspecting the area, searching for the cause of the leak.
Clay Fire says the residents of the home called 911 just before 9 p.m., thinking their house had been hit by lightning.
Luckily, it was just one of their trees that had been hit.
The force caused clumps of dirt to fly 20 feet in the area onto the tree as well as onto the tops of the cars in the driveway.
It also tore through the front yard, hitting the underground pipes to cause that leak.
The lightning strike simultaneously shut off the power to the home, preventing further damage.
Clay Fire reports that there are no injuries.