Tip Line: 574-344-5557 | news57@abc57.com

Man who died in fire identified as local business owner

Photos courtesy the La Porte County Sheriff’s Office Photos courtesy the La Porte County Sheriff’s Office Photos courtesy the La Porte County Sheriff’s Office

LA PORTE COUNTY, Ind. -- The La Porte County Sheriff's Office is investigating a fatal house fire that happened around 7 a.m. CST Thursday at a home on Maple Drive.

A neighbor saw smoke coming from the home at 111 Maple Drive and contacted authorities.

La Porte City firefighters were the first on scene and found flames and heavy smoke coming from the two story home.

When they entered the home, they found 67-year-old Charles Mares lying approximately 10 feet from the door.

Mares was pulled from the home and CPR was performed. Attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mares died as a result of smoke inhalation, according to the La Porte County Coroner.

The sheriff's office says fire investigators believe the fire originated in the laundry room and may have been caused by a clothes dryer.

Foul play is not suspected.

The sheriff's office added Mares was the owner of a hardware store in New Carlisle, Indiana.


Share this article:
Save with